Diving & Snorkelling
Immerse Yourself in Reef LifeWe have a fully serviced Marine Centre located on the Island. The centre is open 7 days from 8.15am to 5.30pm for information, bookings and equipment hire for all dive, snorkel and boating activities. Please view the current Resort Charges fact sheet for all snorkelling and diving equipment hire and boat charters.
Heron Island is a coral cay situated on the reef, so many of the dive and snorkel sites are a short 5-10 minute boat ride from the resort, which allows up to 3 dives per day. Pricing information on any of the following activities is available from our Marine Centre. Any certification level can dive at Heron on our guided dives.
Why Dive Heron?
- Minimal time to dive sites (5-15 minutes)
- Shallow dives (18 metres maximum)
- Avareage bottom time 45min
- Buoyed dive sites
- Stable platform style boats with shaded canopies
- All dives are supervised by a divemaster
- Giant stride entries – exit via wide step ladders
- No carrying of tanks or weights at any time
- All dive sites located within a Marine National Park
- Highest quality dive equipment
- Three dives per day
- Night dives
- Children between 10-11 and Scuba Divers are restricted to 12m in depths. They will require a private divemaster for extra $65/dive
If you suffer from a medical condition and intend on diving during your stay then we recommend bringing a letter from your doctor supporting your choice to dive. Please note, final medical clearance is at the discretion of the island Dive and Medical teams.
Complimentary snorkel lessons are conducted daily at 2pm in the swimming pool. No booking is required. You will require a mask, snorkel and fins to participate, which are available for hire from the Marine Centre.
Being right on the reef means that you can snorkel off the beach. If you have not snorkelled before or would like to practice, try Shark Bay (named after the harmless Shovel Nose Ray) or from the Gantry just in front of the Pandanus Lounge. Snorkelling in the harbour is not advised due to boating traffic. Snorkel equipment is available for hire at the Marine Centre.
Reef Edge Snorkelling
With all your lessons and practice, you’ll soon be ready to enjoy the experience of snorkelling on the reef's edge. Under the supervision of our dive staff you’ll discover the fish, coral and turtles that live just metres below the surface.
Snorkel boats depart from the jetty at 11am and 3pm daily (additional trips added in peak times). Minimum 2 snorkellers. Charges apply.
Please book and re-confirm at the Marine Centre.
Novice snorkellers are strongly encouraged to take advantage of a snorkel lesson prior to this activity. A minimum age restriction of 8 years applies, whilst experience level required may vary due to weather and surface conditions.
Guide for Snorkelers
Whilst Heron Island offer a variety of snorkelling for the novice to the very experienced, it is also important to highlight the following points to ensure an enjoyable and safe experience:
- Snorkelling and swimming are permitted off any beach. However, it is best three hours before and after high tide from the Gantry and Shark Bay. Tide times are posted in the daily "Heron Times" or displayed outside the Marine Centre.
- Be careful where you put your fins so that you do not drag your fins on the coral and never stand on the coral.
- Do not snorkel or swim in the harbour.
- Do not snorkel or swim alone or out of sight of family and friends.
- Do not snorkel out to the reef edge.
- Snorkelling is generally a safe activity. However, exercise can aggravate certain medical conditions such as asthma and heart conditions. You should only participate in the activity with this understanding
Read the complete SNORKELLING FACT SHEET